As a Digital Health NPO, Jembi is actively involved in the international response to COVID-19 View our activities and resources
Home > Job Openings
Technical Project Manager
Jembi seeks to appoint an accomplished and well-qualified Technical Project Manager, to manage a variety of healthcare, information systems, technology and development projects within the public healthcare ecosystem in South Africa. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the relevant Program Managers to define and administer the technical aspects of one or more program areas. In particular, the candidate will be responsible for ensuring agile SCRUM implementation.
This will include guiding activities, implementing agreed approaches, policies and plans; coordinating program deliverables (including risk assessments and resource requirements); communicating work planned and done to key stakeholders; and performing SCRUM ceremonies.
The Technical Project Manager will work with other experienced program and technical program managers and country coordinators.
The ideal candidate has strong project management experience with a strong information systems development background, experience/interest in the non-profit public healthcare area and agile methodologies.
Jembi’s development environment has a flat reporting structure with individuals taking accountability for their actions and performance. We allow and encourage individuals to innovate in their core competence areas and implement their ideas to enhance the overall offering. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, and an attention to detail and show initiative. The person will be expected to work independently, as well as be a team player. Someone who is self-motivated and has a sense of pride in their work, is passionate about technology and self-learning and who takes responsibility for their actions would fit into our team. Strong logical thinking and reasoning skills, a strong sense of integrity, and the drive to be open, honest and ethical in everything they do is critical to our work.
Proven experience with hardware and software communications systems and fault finding (Ethernet, Wifi, GSM etc predominantly for PC environments) is essential to this position. The ability to learn and apply new development tools quickly and efficiently, accept constructive criticism, remain flexible, function under pressure and maintain a positive attitude and work performance in a variety of circumstances will differentiate the right candidate.
Required skills & experience
● Relevant tertiary level training and advanced knowledge in a field related to medicine, public health, computer science or information systems
o A minimum of seven years’ experience in a relevant project management position, working with highly-skilled professionals and/or managers in health information systems, with cross-cultural experience
o Leadership skills including the ability to innovate and strategize in the domain of health information systems
o Management skills, including the ability to manage a team of technical and programme management professionals
● Strong knowledge of Scrum theory, rules and practices
o Competence in coaching members of the team into following the Scrum framework and Agile practices
o Knowledge of other Agile approaches, such as Kanban, XP, etc
● Technical knowledge of common ICT issues including requirements for hardware, software and standard pitfalls in implementation
● Excellent English language proficiency
● Great interpersonal and communication skills
● Computer literacy in common business productivity software, including Microsoft Office
Technology experience should include:
● Strong experience with GSM and Ethernet technologies, appropriate management and diagnostic tools.
● Installation of PC based operating systems.
● Firewall, radius, and other network management components.
● In-depth hardware configuration knowledgefor modems, routers, GSM modules etc.
● Understanding of communications and internet protocols
Beneficial skills & experience
● Honours Degree, Master’s degree or PhD in either Business Administration, Health Sciences, Public Health, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems or similar
● Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) or Certified Product Owner (CSPO) qualifications
● Experience working within or with the South African National Department Health
● Ability to write high quality reports
● Knowledge and experience of South African health systems strengthening and health information systems development in low resource settings as well as the priorities and programmes of international donors
● Project management skills and experience, including project development, monitoring and evaluation, narrative reporting
● Experience in playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory
● Awareness and experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing and Automated Testing etc.
● Experience with tools such as Jira for agile project management
● Knowledge of rules and procedures, as well as experience in budgeting and development of grant and project proposals, for international funding agencies such as CDC, USAID, PEPFAR, EU, WHO, UNICEF etc.
● Proficiency in other Southern African languages is preferred but not required
● Durban preferred but not limited
Areas of Responsibility:
The Technical Project Manager will be responsible for efficient management of Jembi’s service delivery in the program area. Different aspects of the core deliverables may include healthcare systems change management and interpretation of healthcare system specifications into technology requirements.
The wide variety of tasks performed by the Technical Project Manager will include:
● Defining and coordinating technical program issues between programmatic areas.
● Developing requirements, planning schedules and estimating costs are considered paramount tasks.
● Extensive Travel in South Africa (up to 25% of the time)
Apply for this position
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position. Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents. Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
Your application has been submitted!