Home > Job Openings
Jembi has a vacancy for an experienced and well-qualified BI Developer/Architect to support its local and international digital health projects in the public health technology sector. The successful applicant will work with a vibrant business and technical team to deliver an effective health information system and integrated health architectures on several exciting digital and health information systems projects in South Africa and other African countries and also engage with a global set of stakeholders and international communities of practice.
Jembi is expanding its Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Science capabilities in support of various stakeholders such as Provincial Departments of Health, National Health Laboratory Services (NHLS), National Department of Health and Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs).
The role will entail the design, development and deployment of clinical data warehouses and reporting/ analytic data marts for the Departments of Health of Low and Middle Income Countries (LMIC). Large and complex health data sets must be ingested from multiple sources. Data must be analysed, mapped and modelled. Complex business logic procedures need to be developed for deduplication of patient records as well as for an inference engine that can generate health events from various data.
● Meet with customers to gather and/or clarify requirements associated with data warehousing or business intelligence deliverables.
● Design, develop, test, debug, support and document ETL processes for data warehouse implementations
● Design, develop, implement, operate and maintain Business Intelligence (BI) solutions e.g. reporting/ analytic marts & platforms.
● Develop software components and solutions that adhere to development standards and are accurate, efficient, and maintainable
● Create tools to store data for reporting purposes (e.g. OLAP cubes)
● Conduct unit testing and troubleshooting
● Present information through reports and visualization
● Develop and analyse data elements and health indicators
● Clean dirty data, manage quality of data/ information
● Evaluate and improve existing BI systems
● Collaborate with teams to integrate systems
Required skills & experience
Proven experience as a BI Developer or Data Scientist
Background in data warehouse design (e.g. dimensional modelling) and data mining
In-depth understanding of database management systems, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, transform, load) framework
Familiarity with BI technologies (e.g. SAP Hana, Microsoft Power BI, Oracle BI)
In-depth knowledge of SQL
Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
Exceptional understanding of databases (SQL, NoSQL, columnar, relational etc.), data warehousing, data modelling, dimensional modelling, data analysis and have a strong background in database programming using a variety of SQL variants as well as NoSQL
Beneficial skills & experience
Experience and Qualifications
● At least 5 years of relevant industry experience is required
● Experience with statistical modelling or quantitative research methods or trend analysis are all a definite advantage, as is experience with web technologies and APIs
● Experience in the public health sector and Electronic Health Record systems would be beneficial
● Experience with Various technologies e.g. Hadoop, MongoDB, AWS DynamoDB, Postgres, MySQL, MariaDB, AWS Redshift, Microsoft Server stack
A Bachelors or post graduate degree with majors in relevant areas such as: Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, Commerce, Actuarial Science etc. is required.
Relevant certifications in BI would be beneficial.
Depending on location of the right candidate
Apply for this position
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position. Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents. Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.