Home > Job Openings
Jembi has a vacancy for an experienced and well-qualified Lead Developer to support its local and international digital health projects in the public health technology sector. The successful applicant will work with a vibrant business and technical team to deliver an effective health information system and integrated health architectures on several exciting digital and health information systems projects in South Africa and other African countries and also engage with a global set of stakeholders and international communities of practice.
Required skills & experience
● Solid understanding of web technologies and protocols
● Experience as a lead or senior software engineer, with the ability to mentor and lead a development team
● Excellent coding skills and understanding of software design patterns and architecture
● Use of Agile development practices
● Expertise in relational database development
● Ability to take ownership of the software deliverables and work unsupervised by other senior developers
● Responsibility for risk management of the overall software product
● Solid experience in system interoperability
● Solid dev-ops experience
Other tools: Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, Vagrant, Jenkins, Travis and lots and lots of EC2 and Digital Ocean VMs.
Beneficial skills & experience
Have an in-depth understanding of health interoperability standards and patterns
● Performing software development and lead a team of software engineers to deliver on time
● Work with project and program management staff to keep projects on track and convey useful detail and deadlines to the development team
● Assist project management staff in roadmap and workplan planning
● Work with analysts and product teams ensuring requirements and specifications are translated into dev tasks.
● Lead development of technical solution architecture documentation for technical teams
● Understand all Jembi tools and projects to ensure artefacts may be reused and that the Jembi vision is being observed when considering specific project architecture.
● Provide guidance, leadership and mentorship to all involved in development of solutions - particularly to lead developers, business analysts and systems analysts.
● Line management and staff appraisals of a small developer team, inspiring career fulfilment and supporting staff retention.
● Ensure the features developed by the team are produced to the highest possible quality
● Work with Program Managers and Developers to ensure future service oriented offerings are scalable through architecture.
● To be hands on and understand modern technologies (particularly around loosely coupled, highly cohesive designs.)
● To keep current and relevant in the field in order to demonstrate technologies in the field.
● (Nice to have) Understand in-depth knowledge of the interoperability standards and patterns particularly in the health domain. Ensuring Jembi follows best practice when designing such architectures.
NOTE: This role description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the Programs Director may discuss other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Depending on location of the right candidate
Apply for this position
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position. Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents. Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
Your application has been submitted!