Home > Job Openings
Jembi has a vacancy for an experienced and well-qualified Senior DevOps Engineer to support its local and international digital health projects in the public health, technology sector. The successful applicant will work within a vibrant business and technical team to deliver an effective health information system and integrated health architectures on several exciting digital and health information systems projects in South Africa and other African countries and also engage with a global set of stakeholders and international communities of practice
The Senior DevOps Engineer may work on one or more different projects and reports to the Senior Technical Specialist.
If Docker and Kubernetes sounds like something you are passionate about then please think of the JEMBI team! You will be joining one of the leading Digital Health giants in South Africa!
The Senior DevOps role is responsible for:
● Designing and collaborating on scalable deployment architectures
● Managing infrastructure which includes setup, monitoring and alerts, resource allocation, and deployment architecture using a wide range of AWS cloud; GCP (Google Cloud Platform) and Azure technologies
● Implement and manage network/routing setup as well as integration into external systems
● Implementation and automation of runtime environments for software in support of engineering development processes
● Drive virtualization technologies with continuous deployment and elastic scalability in mind
● Manage system security and backup strategies across a wide variety of technologies and products
● Proactively keep systems updated with upgrades and patches to ensure best performance and security
Required skills & experience
● Database Administration. The Senior Devops Engineer will work with MongoDB or other no-sql databases; PostgreSQL & My SQL
● Ability and willingness to code and script in bash or any other suitable technology
● Experience with monitoring tools e.g. Nagios, Netdata, Prometheus & Grafana
● Experience working in AWS, +Google Cloud Platform and/or Azure technologies (Compute, Storage, network & monitoring)
● Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) / Continuous Delivery (CD) tools like Travis CI, Jenkins, GitHub Actions, etc
● Manage the continuous integration process, deployment process, systems reliability and scalability including reporting, configuration and deployment of solutions
● Experience of *nix based systems and tools in order to administrate, manage and monitor
● Experience with configuration management (chef, puppet, git, Ansible)
● Experience with specific AWS cloud technologies (EC2, ECS, Route53, ELB, EBS, VPC, S3, CloudWatch)
● Experience with virtualization technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
● Experience managing VPNs, and integrating them with VPCs
● History of using and iterating on standards and processes that proactively prevent problems from occurring using best practices (e.g. – disaster recovery, backup, archiving, risk management)
Beneficial skills & experience
Qualifications & Preferred Attributes
Willingness to learn new technologies
Continuously stay abreast of existing and emerging DevOps technologies and tools
Relevant Bachelor’s Degree/tertiary level training and knowledge of digital health, medicine, public health, computer science, information systems, or a related field is preferred.
Five years’ experience in a relevant similar position, working with highly-skilled professionals and/or managers in health information systems, with cross-cultural experience
Self-motivated & problem-solving; including the ability to innovate and contribute to the ICT team
Collaborative People Management skills, including the ability to develop and manage relationships across geographically dispersed teams of technical and programme management professionals
Excellent English language proficiency
Valid driver’s license
The role description, above, is not intended to be all-inclusive and may change to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Depending on location of the right candidate
Apply for this position
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position. Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents. Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.