Home > Job Openings
Senior Technical Project Manager
Jembi is looking to appoint an accomplished and well-qualified Senior Technical Project Manager, to manage a variety of healthcare, information systems, technology and development projects within the public healthcare ecosystem in South Africa. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with the relevant Program Managers to define and administer the technical aspects of one or more program areas.
The Senior Technical Project Manager is a member of Jembi’s Technical Governance team who is ultimately accountable for the tracking of Jembi’s Technical Integrated Work Plan.
This will include guiding activities, implementing agreed approaches, policies and plans; managing Jembi’s technical division’s integrated work plan, timeline tracking, work plan progress tracking, resource capacity planning, risk mitigation, internal and external stakeholder expectation management, reporting to Technical Governance on key performance indicators; and coordinating and giving input to country engagement.
The ideal candidate has strong project management experience with a strong information systems development background, experience/interest in the non-profit public healthcare area and agile methodologies.
Jembi’s development environment has a flat reporting structure with individuals taking accountability for their actions and performance. We allow and encourage individuals to innovate in their core competence areas and implement their ideas to enhance the overall offering. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, and an attention to detail and show initiative. The person will be expected to work independently, as well as be a team player. Someone who is self-motivated and has a sense of pride in their work, is passionate about technology and self-learning and who takes responsibility for their actions would fit into our team. Strong logical thinking and reasoning skills, a strong sense of integrity, and the drive to be open, honest and ethical in everything they do is critical to our work.
The ability to learn and apply new development tools quickly and efficiently, accept constructive criticism, remain flexible, function under pressure and maintain a positive attitude and work performance in a variety of circumstances will differentiate the right candidate.
Required skills & experience
● Relevant tertiary level training and advanced knowledge in a field related to medicine, public health, computer science or information systems
o A minimum of seven years’ experience in a relevant project management position, working with highly-skilled professionals and/or managers in health information systems, with cross-cultural experience
o Leadership skills including the ability to innovate and strategize in the domain of health information systems
o Management skills, including the ability to manage a team of technical and programme management professionals
● Technical knowledge of common ICT issues including requirements for hardware, software and standard pitfalls in implementation
● Excellent English language proficiency
● Great interpersonal and communication skills
● Computer literacy in common business productivity software, including Microsoft Office
Beneficial skills & experience
● Honours Degree, Master’s degree or PhD in either Business Administration, Health Sciences, Public Health, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems or similar
● Experience working within or with the South African National Department Health
● Ability to write high quality reports
● Knowledge and experience of South African health systems strengthening and health information systems development in low resource settings as well as the priorities and programmes of international donors
● Project management skills and experience, including project development, monitoring and evaluation, narrative reporting
● Knowledge of rules and procedures, as well as experience in budgeting and development of grant and project proposals, for international funding agencies such as CDC, USAID, PEPFAR, EU, WHO, UNICEF etc.
● Proficiency in other Southern African languages is preferred but not required
Jembi offers a highly attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
What we offer
● Jembi attracts top talent and offers an unparalleled opportunity to work with accomplished professionals at the forefront of global digital health and develop innovative programs in low resource settings.
● An opportunity to travel in Africa and make a real difference to strengthening health in low resource settings.
● Jembi may appoint this position at a different management level commensurate with the skill and experience of the successful applicant/s and, depending on qualifications.
● The role description, above, is not intended to be all-inclusive and will change to meet the ongoing needs of the organisation.
Enquiries can be directed to Jembi Health Systems Cape Town office on +27 21 701 0939.
Apply for this position
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position. Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents. Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
Your application has been submitted!