Jembi Health Systems NPC is looking for a Technical Solutions Architect to join our cutting edge agile development team in Cape Town. The successful candidate will work with the software development teams to ensure the quality of enterprise software products that are used in the public health sector. These products include mobile applications, standalone medical applications, web-based applications and system integration solutions. Jembi is one of the leading specialist health information systems organisations in Africa. We are offering the successful candidate the opportunity to grow their knowledge, skills and experience as part of a young, dynamic team.
Lead Technical Architect Roles and responsibilities
The role of the Lead Technical Architect is both leadership and technical – being responsible for ensuring there is a Jembi Enterprise Architecture, and that all roles responsible for developing Jembi solutions are aligned with that architecture and its strategy.
Overview of the Lead Technical Architect Role
Jembi develop software solutions for public health strengthening. This is accomplished through both an internal development team of approximately 25 developers, business analysts, systems analysts etc as well as collaborating with partner companies and individuals when outsourced skills are required to complement the internal team. Till now, most of the solutions are stand-alone but are based on common technologies. For efficiencies as well as to align and optimize project strategies, Jembi feels it is necessary to architect software to form enterprise solutions that are interoperable and based on public health standards. To this end, Jembi wish to acquire the services of a lead technical architect who is able to develop a strategy for the Jembi Enterprise Architecture as well as evangelise and articulate its requirements to all stakeholders.
The Lead Technical Architect is a talented and experienced individual that will be required to assist all development teams across Jembi in formulating their solution strategies based off a common architecture and end-vision.
As a lead, this role will be required to provide guidance, leadership and mentorship to all involved in the architecture – particularly to lead developers, business analysts and systems analysts. Although the role has no envisioned direct reports at the moment, the technical architect will be required to take the lead on all design issues, ensuring that all solutions form part of the larger Jembi Architecture Framework. Over time, and if necessary, additional technical architects may be required and these would be direct reports to this role.
Although highly technical in nature, the Lead Technical Architect is also required to work with program managers and solution architects (who understand the political, commercial and landscape issues) to ensure Jembi programs all integrate into this framework.
The technical architect needs to be hands-on, and able to demonstrate technologies to peers as well as keep abreast of all things current and relevant to the field.
At times, the Technical architect will be required to work with third parties in assisting them to develop solutions that are able to integrate with the Jembi Architecture.
As Jembi is perceived as a leader in the industry, there will be opportunities to attend conferences, although a requirement will also be to present Jembi Solutions at relevant conferences.
The Lead Technical Architect would report operationally to the Software Development Manager.
Roles and responsibilities of a Technical Solution Architect
- This role needs to take company ownership of the Jembi software architecture strategy, design, documentation and implementation
- Responsible for articulating and maintaining the Jembi arhciteture strategy
- Responsible for ensuring all projects are aligned with the Jembi software strategy
- Responsible for ensuring the most appropriate tools are being used to to the craft in alignment with the Jembi software architecture
- Responsible for establishing an architecture development process
- Responsible for establishing a compliance methodology – ensuring all projects are developed to comply with the Jembi architecture
- Assist in the project selection process as well as project planning process
- Ensure quality and governance are exercised within the project
- Develop solid relationships with the developers, analysts and program managers
- Responsible for third party integration assistance into the Jembi Architecture (such as the National Health Laboratory Service)
The candidate should have the following general attributes
- Has a wealth of experience is designing and developing technical solutions
- Has a strong analytical and problem-solving ability
- Has a high attention to detail
- Is able to be work independently, as well as be a team player
- Is self-motivated and has a sense of pride in their work
- Is passionate about their field as well as an enquiring mind, taking ownership for staying up to date with the latest trends and developments in their field
- Has logical thinking and reasoning skills
- Has a strong sense of integrity, and is open, honest and ethical in everything they do
- Is able to accept constructive criticism
- Is able to execute on instructions
- Is willing and able to impart skills and information to assist fellow colleagues where necessary in achieving the team’s goals
- Is able to remain flexible, function under pressure and maintain a positive attitude and work performance in a variety of circumstances
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and is able to deal with a myriad of personality types in an amicable way
- Should be able to interpret user requirements into relevant diagrams and processes and then guide development team in using applicable tools
- Has a thorough working knowledge of their field with at least 10 years of technical architecture design experience
- Has relevant and sufficient theoretical background from recognised institutes
- Possesses the knowledge that is required to execute their skills
- Has relevant software development experience and theoretical training from recognised institutes
- Has had relevant coding experience in a commercial environment
- Has practical application and architecture design skills at an enterprise level
- Has relevant experience is operationalizing and solution deployment
- Has relevant and up to date skills in architecture design theory as well as design tools and processes
- Has demonstrable relevant experience in integration processes, technologies, tools and theory including continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Has relevant experience in best practices within their field
- Has relevant and demonstrable skills is the management of software solution code
- Has experience in designing for hosted and cloud environments
- A health related development background would be beneficial but not essential.
Interested applicants are invited to submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org and, include a comprehensive CV, and letter of motivation.
Please use the recruitment reference number when applying for the post: JEM/PATHMG-06.
Closing date: 16 January 2019.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The position is a one- year contract position that may be renewed for a further defined period if funding is secured.
Remuneration will be negotiated in accordance with the qualifications and experience.
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position.
Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents.
Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race,
color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.