Home > Job Openings
Senior Program Manager
Jembi seeks to appoint an accomplished and well-qualified Senior Program Manager to manage several digital health, information systems, technology and development projects within the public health ecosystem in South Africa and other countries in Africa.
The successful candidate will work within the South Africa Programs, reporting to the SA Programs Director, and be responsible for one or more project areas. This will include guiding activities, implementing agreed approaches, policies and plans; planning and being accountable for program deliverables (risk assessment, resource allocations, budgets); communicating work planned and done to key stakeholders; managing and developing program strategies, budgets, technology, analyses and organisational processes to compete and succeed in a complex and changing environment.
The Senior Program Manager will work with other experienced program and technical program managers and country coordinators to develop and manage programs, in collaboration with Jembi’s world-class technology team. The ideal candidate has strong management experience as well as either a medical or public health background with informatics skills/interests, or a strong information systems development background with experience/interest in the non-profit public healthcare area.
The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for efficient management of Jembi’s South Africa digital health programs, leading teams through the formulation and execution of program plans, strategies and functions.
The wide variety of tasks performed by the Senior Program Manager will include:
● defining TORs for projects;
● managing program level risks;
● account management;
● relationship management with clients, funders and external consultants;
● handling daily staff assignments and line managing project/program staff;
● planning and administering budgets;
● controlling income and revenue across programs;
● evaluation and report writing and, managing sensitive communication strategies across geographically dispersed locations in South Africa.
Directing, defining and coordinating program resources and issues are key functions in the Senior Program Manager role. Establishing objectives, developing requirements, planning schedules and estimating costs are considered paramount tasks.
Required skills & experience
● Relevant tertiary level training and advanced knowledge in digital health, medicine, public health, computer science, information systems, or a related field
● A minimum of 6 years program/project management experience, including project development, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, narrative and financial reporting
● Knowledge and/or experience of strategy development, program implementation, operational management and resourcing
● Knowledge of rules and procedures, as well as experience in budgeting and development of grant and project proposals, for international funding agencies such as CDC, USAID, PEPFAR, EU, WHO, UNICEF etc.
● Experience of writing grant proposals
● Experience of working with remote team in a multicultural environment
● Leadership skills including the ability to innovate and strategize in the domain of health information systems
● Team management skills, including performance management and career development of a team of technical and programmatic professionals
● Ability to represent Jembi at a relevant level with donors, government, international organisations and partners
● Ability to write high quality narrative reports
● Excellent English language proficiency
● Computer literacy in common business productivity software, including Microsoft Office
● Valid driver’s licence
● South African citizen or work permit holder
Beneficial skills & experience
● A minimum of ten years’ experience in a relevant management, academic or international position, working with highly-skilled professionals and/or managers in health information systems, with cross-cultural experience
● Masters degree in Health Sciences, Public Health, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems or similar
● Ability to conduct implementation research
● Knowledge and experience of health systems strengthening and health information systems development in low resource settings as well as the priorities and programs of international donors
● Proficiency in other Southern African languages is desirable but not required
Jembi offers a highly attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
What we offer
● Jembi attracts top talent and offers an unparalleled opportunity to work with accomplished professionals at the forefront of global digital health and develop innovative programs in low resource settings.
● An opportunity to travel in Africa and make a real difference to strengthening health in low resource settings.
● Jembi may appoint this position at a different management level commensurate with the skill and experience of the successful applicant/s and, depending on qualifications.
● The role description, above, is not intended to be all-inclusive and will change to meet the ongoing needs of the organisation.
Enquiries can be directed to Jembi Health Systems Cape Town office on +27 21 701 0939.
Apply for this position
All new Jembi positions are linked to specific project funding and include a three-month probationary period.
There is no guarantee the advertised position will be recruited as it will depend on funding being place and the candidates applying meeting the criteria required to fill this position. Preference will be given to SA citizens and permanent residents. Applicants with work visas must possess visas which will permit them to work for Jembi Health Systems.
In evaluating prospective applicants and making the final selection, consideration will be given to Jembi Health Systems Employment Equity objective.
Jembi Health Systems is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regards to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
Your application has been submitted!